Welcome to Fact or Fiction! In this recurring series on our blog we’re going to set the record straight on various topics related to the fields our students are training to enter. We aim to share facts, dispel myths, and set apart the fact from the fiction!
Medical Billing and Coding – Fact or Fiction
Today, we are looking at the topic of Medical Billing and Coding.
Fact or Fiction: Medical Billing and Coding are the same thing.
Our team found this to be a FICTION! Here’s why:
While very similar, the functions of Medical Billing and Medical Coding are in fact two separate things! Superficially:
- Medical Billing is defined as a process in which claims are submitted to insurance companies (and followed up on, as necessary) to receive payment for services provided by a doctor or another healthcare provider.
- Medical Coding is defined as a process in which codes are assigned to the descriptions of a patient’s condition as well as the healthcare services provided to the patient to treat and/or care for that condition.
It would not be uncommon for someone to serve as both a Medical Biller and Coder, but there are healthcare settings that have dedicated billers and coders – it really just depends on a number of factors such as the size of the practice/facility and the responsibilities the supervisor has set forth in a specific role.
Dorsey Schools Medical Administration and Billing diploma program offers students instruction in how to pursue an administrative occupation in the medical field. Instruction in this programs takes place in both a traditional classroom setting at Dorsey Schools as well as a hands-on environment by way of an externship that will take place during the final module of training. Students enrolled in the Dorsey Schools Medical Administration and Billing training program will have the opportunity to learn about a variety of topics including (but not limited to):
- Computer Applications for Allied Health Professionals
- Word Processing
- Interpersonal Skills
- Principles of Accounting
- Hospital and Institutional Billing and Coding
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Medical Insurance Software Applications
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Medical Office Procedures
- Electronic Health Records
- And more…!
The Medical Administration and Billing program is offered at the following Dorsey Schools campus locations:
Medical Administration and Billing Program – Gainful Employment Disclosures
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who have completed the program, and other important information, please click here.