The Cosmetology Instructor diploma program offered at Dorsey School of Beauty provides the career training that is needed to assist graduates in jump-starting their career on this specialized path. Students enrolled in this program will receive comprehensive instruction in a number of areas that are related to cosmetology. Upon successful completion of the program, the graduate will have been exposed to a thorough knowledge of the traditional cosmetology school curriculum, course outlining and development, lesson planning, teaching techniques, teaching aids, and more. Throughout the course of this program, students will also have the opportunity to obtain valuable hands-on experience by practicing and honing their teaching skills in the clinic and theory classrooms at Dorsey School of Beauty. The Cosmetology Instructor program totals 500 clock hours and consists of two courses – INST101 Cosmetology Instructor I (250 hours) and INST102 Cosmetology Instructor II (250 hours).
The Cosmetology Instructor program is offered at the Dorsey School of Beauty, Taylor, MI campus.
Cosmetology Instructor training
Training in this program includes:
- Comprehensive instruction in all phases of cosmetology.
- Education in developing, administering and grading examinations, classroom management, lesson plan development, teaching methods for various student learning styles, laws, and rules of cosmetology, record keeping, school administration, and more.
- Flexible schedule customized during this unique program.
- Throughout the course of this program, students will also have the opportunity to obtain valuable hands-on experience by practicing and honing their teaching skills in the clinic and theory classrooms at Dorsey School of Beauty.
- As licensure is required for employment in the State of Michigan, Dorsey School of Beauty will pay the cost one time for graduates of this program to challenge the state licensure exam, contingent upon the graduate meeting Dorsey School of Beauty’s exam preparation requirements.
- Dorsey School of Beauty’s Taylor campus is institutionally accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences, Inc. (NACCAS).
Cosmetology Instructor career outlook
A career as a cosmetology instructor offers a diversity of employment options. Those trained in this field (once they are licensed) may find entry-level employment as cosmetology and nail technician instructors, school directors, state board members, and state board inspectors. Jobs in this specialty can be found in trade and beauty schools, community colleges, and other types of higher learning or career training institutions.
Cosmetology Instructor career information
For more information about a career as a cosmetology instructor, please visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s O*NET website. The Standard Occupational Code (SOC) for this career is 39-5012 and the Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) code for this program is 12.0413. Additional cosmetology career information specific to the State of Michigan can be found at the Career One Stop website, which is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment and Training Administration. When visiting the website, navigate to the browse occupations page, type “Vocational Education Instructor” in the key word search box, and then continue to select the State of Michigan.
The Cosmetology Instructor program is a short-length program not eligible for Title IV funds.
Want to know more about:
- How to Become a Cosmetology Instructor?
- The Dorsey School of Beauty Cosmetology Instructor program
Check out our Cosmetology Instructor FAQ page!
Additional Program Information
What is the total cost of the Cosmetology Instructor program?
Tuition and fees for a student to complete the Cosmetology Instructor program can be found by visiting our Student Consumer Information page. To calculate the total cost of education, including indirect costs of room and board, personal expenses, transportation costs and loan fees associated with the cost of attendance, go to Dorsey College Cost of Attendance page.