A Trusted Michigan Career School for over 80 Years
In 1934, Ruth Dorsey founded the Dorsey School to meet the growing demand in business for highly skilled operators of Victor and Burroughs’ comptometer machines. In its day, the comptometer was the most advanced technology for data tabulation and was widely used, well into the 1960’s.
Today, Dorsey School of Business, doing business as Dorsey Schools, remains a committed career training school that prepares individuals for promising career opportunities, technology training, and certifications for the medical, culinary arts, skilled trades, and cosmetology fields.
In 2011 Dorsey Schools opened their first Dorsey School of Beauty located in Taylor Michigan. Taylortown School of Beauty operates as Dorsey School of Beauty and/or Dorsey Schools (Taylor Campus location).
Dorsey Schools is proudly represented by thousands of successful graduates from our several career schools in Michigan. Get started on your career training today and you too can represent Dorsey Schools by working in the field of your choice, right here in Michigan.
Dorsey Schools is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education. This applies to the Madison Heights campus (which serves as the main campus) and the Dearborn, Roseville, Saginaw, Southgate, Waterford-Pontiac, and Wayne campuses (which are branch campus locations of Madison Heights).
Dorsey School of Beauty Taylor is institutionally accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS) and serves as a main campus.
The “Dorsey Divisions” school locations do not hold institutional accreditation. These locations include Training Direct (locations in Bridgeport and Danbury Connecticut), and Dorsey Emergency Medical Academy (DEMA) locations in Madison Heights, MI (formerly known as Superior Medical Education), New Boston, MI (formerly known as Michigan Academy of Emergency Services and Allied Health), and Bay City, MI (formerly known as Valley Training Center).
The Culinary Arts program at Dorsey Schools Roseville and Waterford-Pontiac campus is programmatically accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation.
To read more, visit our Accreditation page.
The entire staff of Dorsey Schools strives to prepare men and women for the best possible career opportunities in various fields. We are committed to providing quality career education and positive reinforcement to enable the individual development of self-esteem, self-reliance, discipline, and confidence in all graduates coupled with an obligation to the communities in which they live and work.
In support of our mission, the following measurable objectives have been developed:
- Continually update the curriculum to provide programs that meet the needs of the community.
- Offer students the opportunity to develop a foundation of skills and abilities that satisfy the performance requirements of employers.
- Develop each student’s self-confidence and interpersonal skills.
- Provide a pleasant and professional atmosphere conducive to learning that provides experience in operating equipment and software typical of that currently being used in the workplace.
- Provide a dedicated, competent, and caring faculty and staff.
- Offer community involvement activities designed to stimulate student involvement in the community.
- Assist students to secure training-related employment.