If you have a desire to work in the beauty industry, pursuing training and a cosmetology license is the next logical step. A career as a licensed cosmetologist can present many opportunities for your future. However, before you get ready to embark on this exciting journey there are a few things you should consider. For starters, you should evaluate whether the top skills and qualities of a licensed cosmetologist align with your strengths. To help guide you, we’ve compiled a list of the 5 qualities and skills every licensed cosmetologist should have.
Do you have what it takes to become a Cosmetologist?
- Creativity. Creativity is the key to success in this field. Cosmetologists should keep up with the latest trends in beauty. They should also be ready to recommend hairstyles to their clients.
- Customer Service skills. Cosmetologists work with clients and help them achieve their desired look. It is important that they are outgoing and social. A good cosmetologist strives to make their clients feel comfortable. They should also ensure they are satisfied with the service provided. This can be accomplished by effectively communicating and actively listening.
- Physical Stamina. Barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists must be able to stand on their feet for long periods. As a result, good physical stamina is needed.
- Cleanliness and Organization. Workers must keep a neat personal appearance. In addition, they need to keep their work area clean and sanitary. This requirement is necessary for the health and safety of their clients. It’s also important for making clients comfortable enough so that they will want to return.
- Time Management Skills. Cosmetologists may see several clients in a day. As a result, time management skills are important. This is to ensure that schedules are being kept and customers are being serviced in a timely manner¹.
If you have any of these qualities or skills, then you’re off to a great start! Keep in mind that while these skills are helpful to anyone considering a cosmetologist career, not having some skills does not mean this isn’t the profession for you. By attending a local cosmetology school, you’ll have the opportunity to develop new abilities and learn new techniques, all while refining your existing talent. This is just a small sample of skills you should have with a cosmetology license. We encourage you to follow your passion and take the steps towards cosmetology training!
Dorsey School of Beauty offers a Cosmetology diploma program that is designed to take a student’s interest in the beauty industry to a professional level! Our approach to cosmetology training allows for an educational foundation for students who wish to pursue a cosmetologist career. By combining classroom instruction with supervised hands-on training in student salons, our Cosmetology program gives students a look at cosmetology theory, real-world practice, and experience.
If you live in Michigan and you are wondering, “Where can I find local cosmetology schools near me?”- the Cosmetology program at Dorsey School of Beauty is conveniently offered at the following campuses in Michigan:
- Madison Heights, MI (Main Campus)
- Roseville, MI (A branch campus of Madison Heights)
- Taylor, MI (Main Campus, Accredited by NACCAS)
With a program focused on practical application, our instructors strive to expose students to the skills they may need to excel in the field and become a step closer to a career emphasized on creativity, beauty, and success! If you would like to learn more about a cosmetologist career or the qualities and skills you should have with a cosmetology license, then consider Dorsey School of Beauty’s Cosmetology program to learn more about starting your training!
Have the opportunity to pursue a cosmetologist career with Dorsey School of Beauty today!
Dorsey Schools is accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education. This applies to the Dorsey School of Beauty located at the Madison Heights campus, (which serves as the main campus) and the Roseville campus (a branch campus of Madison Heights).
Dorsey School of Beauty (located at the Taylor campus) is also a main campus and is institutionally accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences, Inc. (NACCAS).
Taylortown School of Beauty operates as Dorsey School of Beauty and/or Dorsey Schools (Taylor Campus location).
Licensure must be obtained from the State of Michigan to work in the field of Cosmetology, Manicuring or as an Esthetician or a Cosmetology Instructor.
- https://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairstylists-and-cosmetologists.htm#tab-4 (Visited February 02, 2020)