Are you passionate about all things beauty and want to pursue a career in Cosmetology? Have you been looking for an outlet to tap into your creative side and embrace your artistry? If you answered “Yes!” and are looking for cosmetology schools near Detroit, Michigan, we are here to help! Cosmetology career paths could give you the opportunity to turn your artistry into a beautiful profession! With constantly evolving trends and techniques, you could expand your creativity on a day-to-day basis and bring beauty to the lives of others. Follow your dreams of becoming a Cosmetologist through these 3 simple steps!
1. Do Your Research on Cosmetology schools near Detroit Michigan
Do you live in the Metro Detroit, MI area and are wondering, “Are there any cosmetology courses near me?” In order to find out, you would need to conduct thorough research to find the school that best fits your career goals! Here are a few questions to help you get you started:
- Is the school accredited?
- Do the cosmetology training classes offer real-world applications, not just classroom instruction?
- Will you gain experience through hands-on instruction?
- Does the school have a salon students could take advantage of for practice?
- Are there both day and evening classes offered to fit your schedule?
Cosmetology training classes are the foundation for your career and could play a huge role in your development and success as a cosmetologist. Researching different cosmetology programs before enrolling could help give you confidence and assurance that you are choosing the right school for your education experience.
2. Begin your Cosmetology training classes
After researching cosmetology schools in Detroit, now it is time to choose your cosmetology program and begin your cosmetology training classes! During your cosmetology training classes, you could learn techniques in hair coloring, permanent waving, hair styling, makeup, and more! These classes could help you decide which areas interest you the most and help you hone that craft. This training could also give you the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with actual clients in a student salon. Through hands-on-instruction you could learn the do’s and don’ts of the field and become a skilled beauty professional. The last step in how to become a Cosmetologist in Michigan is getting licensed! Upon successful completion of the training program, you could register for the licensing exam to become a cosmetologist in Michigan and become a step closer to starting your dream job!
3. Explore your career options | Why Cosmetology is a good career choice
After you have successfully graduated and received licensure, you could begin looking into employment options for your cosmetology career. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the employment of barbers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists to grow 8% from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations!¹ Also, according to the Michigan Department of Technology, Management & Budget, the employment of hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 12.3% from 2016 to 2026.² Cosmetologists play an important role in many businesses and could be found working in the following places:
Another reason why cosmetology is a good career choice is the flexibility it could offer you! If you’re looking to be your own boss, you could work for yourself. This type of work could give you the freedom to choose your own hours, what days you want to work, and your own pay. Becoming your own boss could give you the ability to build clientele and establish your beauty brand! Are you ready to explore the possibilities of a cosmetology career?
At the Dorsey School of Beauty, our experienced instructors could help you develop your cosmetology education and prepare you for an exciting career as a Cosmetologist. Once you become a cosmetology student, you could begin putting your new skills into practice. These cosmetology training classes could help you gain valuable exposure by giving you the chance to learn in the classroom as well as work with actual clients.
Our program requires each student to complete 1,500 hours of training to meet the Michigan state requirements. After successful completion of the program, you could challenge the exam to become a licensed cosmetologist! We offer three convenient campus locations in the Metro Detroit area if you are looking for cosmetology schools near Detroit, Michigan:
- Madison Heights, MI (Main Campus)
- Taylor, MI (Main Campus, Accredited by NACCAS)
- Roseville, MI (A branch campus of Madison Heights)
Are you ready to explore all the possibilities of a Cosmetology career? Do not put your passion on the back burner any longer! Take the first step today to pursue your dream of becoming a Cosmetologist through Dorsey School of Beauty’s Cosmetology training program.
Begin your journey into the beauty industry with Dorsey School of Beauty!
- "Barbers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook." U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 4 Sept. 2019, www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairstylists-and-cosmetologists.htm#tab-6
- Michigan Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives.” Employment Projections Excel Files, milmi.mt.gov/datasearch/projections-excel.
- “Barbers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists : Occupational Outlook Handbook.” U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 4 Sept. 2019, www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairstylists-and-cosmetologists.htm#tab-3.