What is Cosmetology?
If you’re asking yourself “what is cosmetology?” you’re in the right place! Do you have a passion for styling hair? Do you love helping others with their nails or makeup? Cosmetologists work with and learn about the art of hairstyling, hair coloring, skin care, and makeup.
Cosmetology could be a great way to express your creative side while being very rewarding. Here at Dorsey College, we have our cosmetology training program that is dedicated to helping you bring out your creative side and taking your passion to the next steps in your career.
What Does a Cosmetologist Do Exactly?
A cosmetologist, once licensed, works in the beauty industry and is responsible for working with clients to help them achieve desired makeup looks, hairstyles and nail designs.
Cosmetologists may also provide scalp and facial treatments and apply makeup. Some cosmetologists may also clean and style wigs and hairpieces. Many cosmetologists also recommend hair care products or salon hair care products to their clients ¹.
Hair Styling Services
Some skills and tasks that hairdressers manage throughout the day may include:
- Inspect and analyze hair to make recommendations to clients
- Discuss and suggest hairstyles with clients
- Wash, cut, color, style, lighten, and condition hair
- Chemically change hair textures
- Clean and disinfect all tools, equipment and work areas ¹
Cosmetologists may also provide clients with basic skin care services including:
- Makeup application
Licensed cosmetologists could also complete nail services including:
- Gel Nails
- Acrylic Nail
- Nail art/ jewelry
Ready to sign up for Cosmetology classes? Learn more today!
Where Does a Cosmetologist Work?
There are numerous possible career opportunities in the cosmetology field. As a cosmetologist, you could be working in:
You could even become your own salon owner! According to the bureau of labor statistics, the employment of cosmetologists is projected to grow 19 percent from 2020 to 2030, much faster than the average for all occupations ² which means this field is growing and there are jobs projected to be available!
How to Become a Cosmetologist
All states require hair stylists, and cosmetologists to be licensed. To qualify for a license, candidates are required to:
- Graduate from a state-approved cosmetology program where you will:
- Gain hands-on experience
- Acquire skills and training necessary to begin your career
- Sit for the state board exam
- This will test the knowledge you gained in your cosmetology program
- Apply for a cosmetology license
- As licensure is required for employment by the State of Michigan, Dorsey College will pay the cost one time for graduates of this program to challenge the state licensure exam, contingent upon the graduate meeting Dorsey College’s exam preparation requirements.
Once you have completed the steps above and obtained your license, it’s time to begin your searching for employment opportunities as a licensed cosmetologist!
Who Should Become a Cosmetologist?
If you are creative, pay attention to detail, and enjoy making others feel good, cosmetology could be for you! A cosmetologist should have these traits: ²
- Great customer service skills
- Good physical stamina as cosmetologists doing hair and makeup must be able to stand on their feet for long periods of time
- Cosmetologists must keep a neat personal appearance, and keep their work area clean, tidy, and sanitized
- Cosmetologists must have good time management skills so they can provide timely services to clients ²
It is important to make your clients feel respected, heard, and confident! A career path as a cosmetologist could allow you to provide people with confidence and self-esteem because of their new look.
Take the First Steps With a Cosmetology Program
The Dorsey College Cosmetology program offers instruction in both a traditional classroom setting as well as a hands-on environment by way of the student salon at Dorsey College.
Our curriculum at Dorsey College emphasizes real-world application along with classroom instruction. As a cosmetology student with us, you may put your new skill-set to practice in our industry-current beauty clinic. That’s right, you could gain valuable exposure training with actual clients!
To learn more about our Cosmetology training program you can visit one of the campuses listed below for more information.
Dorsey School of Beauty, located in Taylor, MI, is a sister school of Dorsey College. Dorsey School of Beauty in Taylor, MI is institutionally accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts and Sciences (NACCAS). To learn more about Dorsey School of Beauty in Taylor, MI you can click here.