What is a Medical Assistant?
The healthcare field needs skilled medical assistants to join the workforce. Medical assistants work alongside physicians and other healthcare providers performing administrative and clinical tasks. Medical assistants may be responsible for a variety of tasks depending on their location, work setting, and other factors.
Medical assistants are one of the fastest growing medical positions in the healthcare field. Much quicker than the average for occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. 3
Will you answer the call to the growing demand for Medical Assistants? There are many people with critical roles who keep the healthcare field running smoothly. A medical assistant is one of them!
Ready to become a Medical Assistant? Sign up for Medical Assistant classes today!
What Does a Medical Assistant Do?
A medical assistant is a vital member of the healthcare team. Medical assistant duties help physicians’ offices, clinics, and other facilities function as smoothly as possible. But what do these duties entail? Medical assistants typically do the following: ¹
- Record the patient’s medical history, personal information, and chief complaint
- Measure and record vital signs
- Assist healthcare providers with patient examinations
- Administer injections or medications as directed by providers
- Schedule appointments for patients
- Prepare specimens and blood samples for lab tests
- Enter and maintain patient information into medical records
Medical assistants can also play a versatile role in the healthcare field as they can be found working in different practices. Depending on where you work, some common areas of specialization for medical assistants can include: ¹
- Clinical Medical Assistant Duties
- Prepare patients for basic laboratory tests
- Dispose of contaminated supplies
- Sterilize medical instruments, equipment, and facilities
- Obtain, record, and maintain medication Information
- Preparing patients for examinations
- Removing stitches
- Drawing blood from patients
- Changing dressings
- Administrative Medical Assistant Duties
- Fill out insurance forms that will be submitted for payment
- Code patients’ medical information as part of the billing process
- Answering telephones within the office
- Scheduling patient appointments
- Coordinating hospital admissions
- Coordinating laboratory services/tests
- Performing billing and bookkeeping duties, as needed
Kickstart your career today, join our Medical Assistant program today!
Where Does a Medical Assistant Work?
Medical Assistants can work in a variety of different settings. These include but are not limited to: ²
- Physicians’ offices
- Outpatient care centers
- Chiropractic offices
Medical assistants are a vital member of any healthcare team wherever they may work!
Medical Assistant Job Outlook
According to the bureau of labor statistics, employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 18 percent from 2020 to 2030. This career path is considered to be rapidly growing, and at a rate much higher than the average occupation. ³
Will I Need Certification to Become a Medical Assistant?
While Michigan does not require medical assistants to possess a certification, it may be helpful. Employers may prefer medical assistants who have obtained certification. As a result, this can broaden your employment opportunities as a medical assistant by possessing this credential.
How to Start Your Medical Assistant training Today!
At Dorsey College, students could learn skills such as taking patient vital signs, recording medical history, and the fundamentals of patient care. Learning the tasks required of medical assistants’ work can help you get ready for entry-level employment in physicians’ medical offices, clinics, or other healthcare facilities! ¹
The Medical Assistant training at Dorsey College is designed to be completed in just one year. This could be your opportunity to enter the healthcare field and become a valuable asset to the team. Begin pursuing your career as a certified medical assistant today!
Get started on your Medical Assistant training at Dorsey College!