Culinary Arts Program
Campus of Interest: *
First Name: *
Last Name: *
Phone Number: *
Zip Code: *
Culinary Arts Training Program
Training in this program includes:
- Exposure to fundamental skills necessary for success in the culinary arts, including proper sanitation, knife cuts, “mise en place,” cooking techniques, food preparation, food purchasing/specifications, catering and professionalism.
- Students will have the opportunity to learn various aspects of the culinary industry, including baking, butchering, and healthy cooking and nutrition.
- The Culinary Arts program will also introduce students to menu planning/pricing, kitchen management, and inventory control.
- An externship is included in the program allowing students to apply what they have learned throughout the program in a real-world culinary environment.
- Students have the opportunity to challenge the National Restaurant Association’s ServSafe® Certification exam and challenge the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation’s (“NRAEF”) Nutrition certification test, as part of the Culinary Arts program. Dorsey Schools will pay the cost one time for students in this program to challenge these certification exams, contingent upon the student meeting Dorsey Schools exam preparation requirements.
- The Culinary Arts program at Dorsey Schools is programmatically accredited by The Accrediting Commission of the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF). Each graduate of the Culinary Arts program at Dorsey Schools is eligible to become an ACF certified culinarian with documentation of both membership in the ACF and one year of in-field working experience.
- Practical training in this program may include providing culinary goods and services that may be sold to the general public.
Culinary Arts Program
The Culinary Arts diploma program at Dorsey Schools is designed to prepare students to work in professional food serving facilities in both the public and private sectors. Students “learn by doing” the practical side of professional food preparation. Education in the Culinary Arts program takes place in both kitchen and classroom settings. Students of the Culinary Arts program will have the opportunity to learn skills that are needed to gain the competitive and creative edge in the development of their culinary career. A culinary knife kit, textbooks, a chef’s hat, coat, and pants are provided to students by Dorsey Schools.
Professional Cooking Career Outlook
Graduates of the Culinary Arts program can enjoy a diverse selection of job possibilities to choose from. Some of these positions include sous chef, rounds cook, line cook, short-order cook, baker, garde manger, and pantry supervisor, among others. Jobs in this field can be found anywhere food is prepared and served in both private and public settings, such as restaurants, hotels, resorts, hospitals, and bakeries. It’s important to note that the Culinary field places value on experience within the industry. Because of that, someone just graduating from a Culinary Arts program or someone just entering the field is not likely to obtain a position with the title of a chef. If becoming a chef is one’s career aspirations, pursuing culinary training and obtaining a few year’s of work experience in a culinary environment may position someone to pursue advancement and/or growth opportunities in this field.
According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of cooks (positions that can be filled by Culinary Arts graduates) is projected to grow 4% from 2014-2024.a In addition, according to the State of Michigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, employment of cooks (positions that can be filled by Culinary Arts graduates) is projected to grow 13.0% from 2012 to 2022.b
Enroll in the Culinary Arts program at Dorsey Schools today and get the career training you need to enter the creative world of food preparation.
Locations that Offer this Program
The Culinary Arts program is available at the following Dorsey School campus locations:
Graduates from Dorsey Schools Have Been Employed By:
- Andiamo’s Restaurant
- Avalon International Breads
- Canterbury on the Lake
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Detroit Zoo
- Levy Restaurants at Ford Field
- Oakhurst Country Club
- Oakland Hills Country Club
- Red Smoke BBQ Restaurant
- Vinsetta Garage
- Windemere Park Senior Community
- …and more!
aBureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Cooks, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/food-preparation-and-serving/cooks.htm (visited February 15, 2016).
bMichigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, Long-Term Occupational Employment Projections (2012-2022) Michigan Statewide, Cooks, All Other (SOC Code: 35-2019), http://milmi.org/admin/uploadedPublications/2350_LongTerm_OccupationalProj_2022_MI.xls (visited February 15, 2016).