Medical Assistant Program
The Medical Assistant diploma program at Dorsey Schools provides students with the comprehensive classroom education and hands-on experience necessary for gaining the skills and confidence needed to become a valuable member of the healthcare team. Students enrolled in this program will receive thorough training in human anatomy, medical terminology, insurance procedures and pharmacology, and more.
- Comprehensive training in both administrative and clinical areas
- Clinical training that takes place on-campus in Dorsey Schools’ medical laboratories
- An externship with a physician’s office, long-term care facility, acute care setting, or other medical facility prior to graduating
- Upon completion of this program, graduates will be eligible to sit for a National Medical Assistant Certification Exam
- Dearborn Campus
- Farmington Hills Campus**
- Lansing Campus
- Madison Heights Campus
- Roseville Campus
- Saginaw Campus
- Southgate Campus
- Waterford-Pontiac Campus
- Wayne-Westland Campus
** Please Note: The Farmington Hills Campus is not accepting new students at this time.
Medical Assistant Career Outlook
Graduates with medical assistant training can enjoy a wide range of job opportunities, because this is a fast-growing, in-demand profession. Typical job responsibilities include a variety of tasks, such as supporting doctors and nurses in keeping the practice’s operations running smoothly and on schedule. Medical assistants also regularly perform administrative duties, such as filing medical records, scheduling appointments, and arranging hospital procedures. Jobs in this field are most commonly found in hospitals, clinics, private practices, and other health care facilities.
- Medical assistant jobs are among the fastest-growing in the healthcare industry. According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 23% from 2014 to 2024, which is much faster than average for all occupations.a
- In addition, according to the State of Michigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, employment of medical assistants is projected to grow 10.8% from 2014 to 2024.b
- Bavarian Comfort Care
- Bloomfield Urgent Care
- Canton Center Pediatrics
- City Medical Care, P.C.
- Covenant Health Care
- Detroit Medical Center
- Downriver Pediatrics
- Eastpointe Family Physicians
- Family Medical Center of Michigan
- Infinity Primary Care
- Lakes Urgent Care
- Obstetrics & Gynecology Center of Michigan
- St. Peters Medical Center
- St. Joseph Mercy Oakland
- Valley Urgent Care
- …and more!
Enroll in the Medical Assistant program at Dorsey Schools today and get the career training you need to become a valued professional in the healthcare field.
Why Choose Dorsey
Dorsey Schools is a respected post-secondary institution, having trained and taught quality graduates in Michigan since 1934. At Dorsey Schools, you’re not just a number. You have specific goals; goals that are unique to you as an individual and as a student at Dorsey Schools, we’re going to work hard to help you reach those goals. Our instructors and administrators know students individually and they care about each individual student. In addition, our schools are designed to help students throughout their time with us from the Admissions process through Financial Aid to Career Services, our administrators are readily available. Here at Dorsey Schools, we have a strong commitment to our students and the communities in which they live and work.
- Small Class Sizes: Many of our lecture classes have a maximum of a 30:1 student to teacher ratio (some may be up to 40:1, it varies by campus), and most lab classes have a maximum of an 18:1 student to teacher ratio, allowing students to receive personal attention and the one-on-one guidance needed for success.
- Quality Instructors: Our industry-experienced instructors are dedicated and committed to our students’ success. Every Dorsey Schools instructor meets or exceeds State of Michigan and accreditation criteria, guidelines, and qualifications. It’s not uncommon for Dorsey students to see their instructors as their coach and mentor throughout their studies.
- Hands-on Training: We provide our students with program-specific curriculum dedicated to assist them in learning the skills needed for that specific career. Learning at Dorsey Schools often takes place in both lecture and lab settings allowing students the ability to practice the skills they are learning. Many of our programs also include an Externship prior to graduation, designed to model the work environment students may experience upon Graduation.*
- Short-Term Training Programs: Many of the programs at Dorsey Schools can be completed in a year or less, allowing you to complete your training in a relatively short period of time.**
- TEN Convenient Campus Locations: We have TEN campus locations (Dearborn, Farmington Hills, Lansing, Madison Heights, Roseville, Saginaw, Southgate, Taylor, Waterford-Pontiac, Wayne-Westland) prepared to assist the people of Michigan develop skills needed for exciting new career opportunities. Each of our campuses has a dedicated staff available to help you throughout your studies.
- Convenient Class Schedules: We realize our students are busy and often juggle commitments outside of school. As a result, we offer Day, Afternoon, and Evening classes*** designed to fit your schedule.
- Tuition Planning: Each of our campuses has Financial Aid Representatives available to meet with students and discuss financing options. We realize the Financial Aid process can be difficult to understand, but our team will help students understand the process and options available to them. Financial Aid is available to those who qualify.
- Career Services: Each of our campuses has Career Services professionals dedicated to offer employment assistance to all eligible graduates. In addition, Dorsey Schools has developed relationships with employers in Michigan which, when coupled with the job search skills students learn, creates positive employment possibilities for our graduates. Dorsey Schools is your Career Connection™.
*Programs vary by campus
**Completion time varies by program
***Availability varies by campus
aBureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Medical Assistants,
on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/medical-assistants.htm (visited July 11, 2016).
bMichigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, Long-Term Occupational Employment Projections (2014-2024) Michigan Statewide, Medical Assistants (SOC Code: 31-9092), http://milmi.mt.gov (visited July 11, 2016).