Campus Of Interest *
First Name *
Last Name *
Phone Number: *
Zip Code: *
Cosmetology Diploma Program
The Cosmetology diploma program offered at Dorsey School of Beauty combines comprehensive classroom instruction with valuable hands-on training in an actual beauty clinic (with real-life clients) for a complete educational foundation. Dorsey School of Beauty’s Cosmetology program is designed to take a student’s interest in the beauty industry to the next professional level. In the Cosmetology program, students help people look their best (as they work towards building great careers for themselves). Upon graduation, students will have had the opportunity to gain a thorough knowledge of art principles, hair styling, hair cutting and shaping, hair coloring, thermal waving and curling, permanent waving, chemical relaxing, shampooing, manicuring, scalp and facial treatments. Once licensed, graduates may work as entry level cosmetologists under numerous job descriptions. The Cosmetology program requires a student to complete 1,500 clock hours of training.
The Cosmetology Diploma Program is offered at the following Dorsey Schools campus locations:
Training in this program includes:
- An in-depth focus on cosmetology theory and real-world practice and experience.
- Coursework that is designed to enhance the student’s development of practical and technical skills.
- The use of professional cosmetology facilities and equipment.
- The opportunity to gain hands-on training (while supervised) in our on-campus beauty clinic, where cosmetology services will be provided to the public, who may be charged for the services rendered by students.
- Dorsey School of Beauty (located at the Madison Heights, Roseville, and Lansing Campuses) is institutionally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- Dorsey School of Beauty (located at the Taylor Campus) is institutionally accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences, Inc. (NACCAS) and holds initial approval to receive institutional accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- A Cosmetology Student Kit, which contains various tools used in the industry (as well as textbooks) are provided by Dorsey School of Beauty.
- As licensure is required for employment by the State of Michigan, Dorsey Schools will pay the cost one time for graduates of this program to challenge the state licensure exam, contingent upon the graduate meeting Dorsey Schools exam preparation requirements.
A career as a professional cosmetologist can be fun and rewarding. Graduates of this program (once they become licensed) are eligible to seek entry-level employment in positions that may include stylist, color specialist, skin or nail specialist, platform or makeup artist, manufacturers’ representative, and cosmetic salesperson, among others. Jobs in this field can be found in beauty salons, spas, and other beauty-related businesses.
According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 10% from 2014 to 2024, which is faster than the average for all occupations.a In addition, according to the State of Michigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, employment of hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 7.8% from 2014 to 2024.b
Enroll in the Cosmetology program at Dorsey Schools today and get the career training you need to start your journey toward becoming a cosmetologist.
Graduates from Dorsey School of Beauty have been employed by:
- ABE Hair and Fashion
- Anthony’s Hair
- Great Clips
- JCP Salon
- Luv Manicure & Pedicure
- Luxe Nails & Spa
- PureJoy Salon & Boutique
- …and more!
To learn more about the Cosmetology Program at Dorsey Schools, call 888-422-1188 or contact us.
Want to learn more about…
- What Cosmetologists Do
- Becoming a Cosmetologist
- The Dorsey Schools Cosmetology Program
Check out our Cosmetology FAQ page!
Cosmetology Program – Gainful Employment Disclosures – Roseville, Madison Heights, and Lansing Campuses
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who have completed the Cosmetology Program for Dorsey School of Business (located in Roseville , Madison Heights, and Lansing), and other important information, please click here to read more.
Cosmetology Program – Gainful Employment Disclosures – Taylortown School of Beauty
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who have completed the Cosmetology program for Taylortown School of Beauty, and other important information, please click here to read more.
Taylortown School of Beauty operates as Dorsey School of Beauty and/or Dorsey Schools (Taylor Campus location).
aBureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Barbers, Hairdressers, and Cosmetologists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairdressers-and-cosmetologists.htm (visited July 11, 2016).
bMichigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, Long-Term Occupational Employment Projections (2014-2024) Michigan Statewide, Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists (SOC Code: 39-5012), http://milmi.mt.gov/Portals/137/publications/projectionsdata/LongTerm_OccupationalProj_2024_MI.xlsx (visited July 11, 2016).