Campus Of Interest *
First Name *
Last Name *
Phone Number: *
How did you hear about us? *
Pharmacy Technician Diploma Program
The Pharmacy Technician Diploma Program is designed to prepare students to work in an ambulatory pharmacy – providing critical support to the pharmacist, assisting in the filing of prescriptions, assisting in the dispensing of medications, billing insurance companies, preparing medications, maintaining inventory and providing excellent customer service. Students in this program are supplied with one complimentary laboratory coat at the beginning of their first laboratory class. Students participate in an externship during the last module of training, where they have the opportunity to gain industry experience and professional exposure. Graduates of this program will be eligible to challenge a national Pharmacy Technician Certification exam.
The Pharmacy Technician Diploma Program is offered at the following Dorsey Schools campus locations:
Pharmacy Technician Training
Training in this program includes:
- Coverage of topics such as pharmacy operations, including strong communication and customer service skills that are critical to the success of the pharmacy technician.
- The opportunity to learn the language of medicine and building a proficient medical vocabulary, including the structure of the body, common diseases, treatment, laboratory tests and medical and pharmacological abbreviations.
- Overview of the use and side effects of medications (generic and brand name, prescription, non-prescription, and alternative) that are commonly used to treat diseases.
- Students are introduced to basic pharmacy practices, including laws and regulations.
- An externship in a supervised, ambulatory pharmacy setting under the direct supervision of a pharmacist and his/her staff is included in the program.
- Completion of this program is designed to prepare each student to challenge a national certification exam.
Pharmacy Technician Career Outlook
A career as a pharmacy technician can be challenging, rewarding, and secure (especially in regard to the aging baby boomer generation and their need for more medications). Standard duties associated with this position include assisting the pharmacist in measuring, mixing, counting, and labeling dosages of medications, billing insurance companies and more. Pharmacy technician positions can be found within pharmacies, drug stores, hospitals, and department stores, grocery stores, and general merchandise stores with in-store pharmacies. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the projected job outlook for Pharmacy Technicians is expected to grow by 20% from 2012 to 2022.*
Enroll in the Pharmacy Technician Program at Dorsey Schools today and get the career training you need to become an integral member of a pharmaceutical healthcare team.
Graduates from Dorsey Schools have been employed by:
- Central Pharmacy
- Community Prescription Support Program
- Downs Pharmacy
- Meijer Pharmacy
- CVS Pharmacy
- MSU Clinical Center Pharmacy
- Rite Aid Pharmacy
- Med Cart Pharmacy
- Menard Sav-Mor Pharmacy
- St. John Providence Pharmacy
- Walgreens Pharmacy
- Wal-Mart Pharmacy
- …and more!
To learn more about the Pharmacy Technician Program at Dorsey Schools, call 888-422-1188 or contact us.
Additional Program Information:
- Effective October 1, 2015, licensure as a Pharmacy Technician is required in the State of Michigan for employment in this field.
- Verification of high school graduation or its equivalent (a General Education Development “G.E.D.” High School Equivalency Certificate) and passing a mandatory background check is required for continued enrollment in the Pharmacy Technician program.
- Program tuition includes State of Michigan fees required to obtain a temporary Pharmacy Technician license, reimbursement of a one-time certification exam fee and one complimentary laboratory coat.
Pharmacy Technician FAQs
Want to learn more about…
- What Pharmacy Technicians Do
- Becoming a Pharmacy Technician
- The Dorsey Schools Pharmacy Technician Program
Check out our Pharmacy Technician FAQ page!
Pharmacy Technician Program – Gainful Employment Disclosures
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who have completed the program, and other important information, please click here.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Pharmacy Technicians, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacy-technicians.htm (visited August 18, 2014).