Here at Dorsey Schools, we always enjoy sharing info about happenings at our campuses and events in Michigan. On Friday March 3rd and Saturday March 4th, the Dorsey Culinary Academy campus in Pontiac, MI hosted the sixth annual Dorsey Schools Culinary Academy Winter Salon competition. Read more about the event below from our very own Chef Usher.
This past weekend the Dorsey Schools Culinary Academy hosted the sixth annual Dorsey Schools Culinary Academy Winter Salon competition at the Waterford-Pontiac campus. There were over 50 competitors who came from around the Metro-Detroit area and from around the country. It was wonderful to see instructors and students come together from both campuses to work on such a wonderful event. We had over 20 students volunteering and several instructors helping. I want to give special thanks to the following instructors:
- Chef John Piazza for helping to assist with students and data entry for the judges
- Chef Matthew Schellig who provided support and knowledge as previous show chair
- Chef Ryan Parker who was the photographer
- Chef Daniel Martinez, Chef Rodrigo Perencin, Chef James Kokenyesdi and Chef Adam McGiness for directing the students, keeping track of competitor’s time, kitchen organization and mystery basket delivery
Without their help, this event would not have been as successful as it was. We had an incredible panel of judges, which included, Chef Thomas Recinella CEC AAC HGT, Chef Michael Morgan CEC AAC, Chef Allen Neace MS CEC AAC and Chef Scott O’Farrell CEC CEPC CCA.
A special congratulations goes out to the many winners from Dorsey Schools Culinary Academy. It was amazing that there were over 10 medals awarded to Dorsey Culinary Academy staff, students and alumni:
- Chef Matthew Schellig- earned one Silver medal in a hot food category and a second Silver medal in a cold food category
- Chef Natalia Tarnavsky- earned a Gold medal, hot food mystery basket category
- Chef Rodrigo Perencin- earned a Gold medal in hot food category and a Silver medal for a 2 man hot food mystery basket category
- Chef Daniel Martinez- earned 1 Silver medal in a hot food category and a Silver in a 2 man hot food mystery basket category
- Current Roseville student Yusef Abdul-Malik earned a Silver medal in the student pastry category
- Waterford-Pontiac students earned medals in the student wildcard category, Robyn Hamilton-Silver medal, Sanders Hawkins-Silver medal,
- Darnell Brooks-Bronze medal and DeQuantay Johnson-Diploma
- Mishia Rainer a Dorsey Alumni competed in the professional pastry category and earned a Silver medal
Lastly, special thanks goes out to Rising Stars Academy and Mark Prentice for providing their students for kitchen support.
This past weekend was a great accomplishment; Teamwork makes the dream work!
Chef Waniece Usher, CEPC
Lead Culinary Instructor
Dorsey Culinary Academy
Culinary Arts Program – Gainful Employment Disclosures
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who have completed the program, and other important information, please click here.