The Cosmetology diploma program offered at Dorsey School of Beauty combines comprehensive classroom instruction with valuable hands-on training in an actual beauty clinic (with real-life clients) for a complete educational foundation. Dorsey School of Beauty’s Cosmetology program is designed to take a student’s interest in the beauty industry to the next professional level. In the Cosmetology program, students can help people look their best (as they work towards building great careers for themselves).
- In-depth focus on cosmetology theory and real-world practice and experience.
- Coursework that is designed to enhance the student’s development of practical and technical skills.
- Using professional cosmetology facilities and equipment.
- Dorsey School of Beauty (located at the Madison Heights, Roseville, Taylor and Lansing Campuses) is institutionally accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- Dorsey School of Beauty (located at the Taylor Campus) is institutionally accredited by the National Accrediting Commission of Career Arts & Sciences, Inc. (NACCAS) and holds initial approval to receive institutional accreditation from the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS).
- A Cosmetology Student Kit, which contains various tools used in the industry, as well as textbooks are provided by Dorsey School of Beauty.
- As licensure is required for employment by the State of Michigan, Dorsey Schools will pay the cost one time for graduates of this program to challenge the state licensure exam, contingent upon the student meeting Dorsey Schools exam preparation requirements.
- Lansing Campus
- Madison Heights Campus
- Roseville Campus
- Taylor Campus
Cosmetologist Career Outlook
A career as a professional cosmetologist can be fun and rewarding. Graduates of this program (once they become licensed) are eligible to pursue entry-level employment in positions that may include:
- Color specialist
- Skin or nail specialist
- Platform or makeup artist
- Manufacturers’ representative
- Cosmetic salesperson
- …and more!
Jobs in this field can be found in beauty salons, spas, and other beauty-related businesses.
- According to the US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 10% from 2014 to 2024, which is faster than the average for all occupations.a
- In addition, according to the State of Michigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, employment of hairdressers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 7.8% from 2014 to 2024.b
- ABE Hair and Fashion
- Anthony’s Hair
- Great Clips
- JCP Salon
- Luv Manicure & Pedicure
- Luxe Nails & Spa
- PureJoy Salon & Boutique
- …and more!
Enroll in the Cosmetology program at Dorsey Schools today and get the career training you need to start your journey toward becoming a cosmetologist.
Why Choose Dorsey
Dorsey Schools is a respected post-secondary institution, having trained and taught quality graduates in Michigan since 1934. At Dorsey Schools, you’re not just a number. You have specific goals; goals that are unique to you as an individual and as a student at Dorsey Schools, we’re going to work hard to help you reach those goals. Our instructors and administrators know students individually and they care about each individual student. In addition, our schools are designed to help students throughout their time with us from the Admissions process through Financial Aid to Career Services, our administrators are readily available. Here at Dorsey Schools, we have a strong commitment to our students and the communities in which they live and work.
- Small Class Sizes: Many of our lecture classes have a maximum of a 30:1 student to teacher ratio (some may be up to 40:1, it varies by campus), and most lab classes have a maximum of an 18:1 student to teacher ratio, allowing students to receive personal attention and the one-on-one guidance needed for success.
- Quality Instructors: Our industry-experienced instructors are dedicated and committed to our students’ success. Every Dorsey Schools instructor meets or exceeds State of Michigan and accreditation criteria, guidelines, and qualifications. It’s not uncommon for Dorsey students to see their instructors as their coach and mentor throughout their studies.
- Hands-on Training: We provide our students with program-specific curriculum dedicated to assist them in learning the skills needed for that specific career. Learning at Dorsey Schools often takes place in both lecture and lab settings allowing students the ability to practice the skills they are learning. Many of our programs also include an Externship prior to graduation, designed to model the work environment students may experience upon Graduation.*
- Short-Term Training Programs: Many of the programs at Dorsey Schools can be completed in a year or less, allowing you to complete your training in a relatively short period of time.**
- TEN Convenient Campus Locations: We have TEN campus locations (Dearborn, Farmington Hills, Lansing, Madison Heights, Roseville, Saginaw, Southgate, Taylor, Waterford-Pontiac, Wayne-Westland) prepared to assist the people of Michigan develop skills needed for exciting new career opportunities. Each of our campuses has a dedicated staff available to help you throughout your studies.
- Convenient Class Schedules: We realize our students are busy and often juggle commitments outside of school. As a result, we offer Day, Afternoon, and Evening classes*** designed to fit your schedule.
- Tuition Planning: Each of our campuses has Financial Aid Representatives available to meet with students and discuss financing options. We realize the Financial Aid process can be difficult to understand, but our team will help students understand the process and options available to them. Financial Aid is available to those who qualify.
- Career Services: Each of our campuses has Career Services professionals dedicated to offer employment assistance to all eligible graduates. In addition, Dorsey Schools has developed relationships with employers in Michigan which, when coupled with the job search skills students learn, creates positive employment possibilities for our graduates. Dorsey Schools is your Career Connection™.
Taylortown School of Beauty operates as Dorsey School of Beauty and/or Dorsey Schools (Taylor Campus location).
*Programs vary by campus
**Completion time varies by program
***Availability varies by campus
aBureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2016-17 Edition, Barbers, Hairdressers, and Cosmetologists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/barbers-hairdressers-and-cosmetologists.htm (visited July 11, 2016).
bMichigan DTMB, Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives, Long-Term Occupational Employment Projections (2014-2024) Michigan Statewide, Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists (SOC Code: 39-5012), http://milmi.mt.gov/ (visited July 11, 2016).